FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using AA SAAver award miles from CPH to NYC (to merge)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:36 am
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by NJRadioGuy
Gents and ladies, while I do appreciate the replies, I'd respectfully request you re-read my question. My outbound leg from NYC to CPH is covered using miles from a different program. This will be two separate award flights; one using United Miles flying SAS metal, which I'm not having a problem with at the moment, and the other using American miles which is why I'm posting in this forum. I'm having problems finding a way home using AA miles.

Non-stop is preferred, from Helsinki to NYC as my first choice, using AY metal. There just doesn't seem to be any availability for that flight from Sept. 15th through Oct. 15th (the range I'm looking at at the moment). Failing that, the least-painful non-LHR connection from either CPH, ARN, HEL or other close-in airport, using AA miles for an economy-plus or premium economy seat (gladly paying the differential in cash between main cabin and premium).

My hoped-for itinerary is EWR->CPH (again, using my UA miles on SAS metal), visit our friend for 4 nights, catch a one hour puddle jumper (cash-fare) CPH to HEL, one night in Helsinki, ferry across to Tallinn for an overnight, ferry back, train to Vantaa, then back to JFK. It's the last part that's giving me fits at the moment.

Thanks again.
I believe that BA is the only OW carrier that flys into EWR, so that leaves PHL or JFK but JFK is very limited from Europe nowadays on AA and you dont want BA, so that pretty much leaves AY or IB or if available flying on Qatar.but thats flying way out of the way if they even fly to HEL. PHL isnt much better. Truth is *A and ST are best for European travel

If it must be AA miles then Id look into AY to a city AA flys into (besides LHR) in Europe and connect on AA back to JFK or PHL