FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Doha: RC or Sharq Village
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:41 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scented
I think part of the problem with your perceived and right image of Doha hotels is that the city/country is a shadow of its former self. You should have visited Doha between 2005 and 2012, when it was the place to be. Almost everyone has left since then and what ensued was cost cutting at all of the hotels, including FS.

I am interested how this market will develop, I think it could get a little better in 2019.

In other news, FS had planned to do a large renovation project this year -- it didn't happen. I suspect owners wanted to wait and see. It's been on the cards forever and I wondered if it would actually happen, but apparently things will move ahead around March 2019. Starting with the rooms product and some F&B outlets, and potentially in 2020 the Spa will finally see a renovation. There was also discussion about a new, trendy Bar. They would be well advised to renovate the rooms, especially now that Park Hyatt will open and possibly also MO...
Thanks! That's good to know. I have only been coming to Doha/Qatar for the past 2-3 years and indeed, I am sure that a mixture of the blockade and the various projects including the world cup is making everything a bit of an unusual scene! Also, I do think that in many places even food has been suffering from cuts which, in luxury hotels, feels perhaps more noticeable than it might be elsewhere.