FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:41 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
WIth respect, one problem is when guests with 90's era expectations go in and charge up $100 for a "continental breakfast for one..." with any expectation whatsoever that it will be "covered" under WOH.

What you don't seem to realize is that market conditions have changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Consolidation has occurred. NO major chain offers the benefits that Hyatt now offers. The more money the breakfast benefit costs the properties (especially when it is used flagrantly) the more likely it is that Hyatt will match Marriott/Hilton and downgrade the benefit to match its closest peers. Yes, I know you will argue that "it's all built into the room rate" or "the small footprint requires Hyatt to offer these benefits" but the truth is that Hyatt is adding properties like crazy and will soon cross 1,000 properties which will put them at about the same size SPG was at merger, and remember that SPG got away with only offering a basic continental with up-charges for anything better....
Oh boy I love a good debate and so I will chime in and say that no chain has ever offered what Hyatt has in over 30 years even before Hyatt offered breakfast to Diamonds/Globalist
And quite frankly I would say that Hyatt does offer everything and way more than it ever did in the 90s or 20 years later to present date for that matter
Park Hyatt NY being the glaring exception
But as others have said many times including our good friend Gary Leff it takes far more effort to stay loyal to Hyatt and I'll add frequently more revenue per night.

So why is it ok for any one hotel to change that precedent that is consistent system wide all over the word @ Hyatt Hotels? Market Conditions?
And who said anyone here self included is using the breakfast flagrantly? Because a hotel over prices basic costs on its menu twice as much as it may be worth?
I suppose guests could take advantage of Hyatt's superb benefit in hotels that do impose no limits.I don't.In fact I very much value my relationship with Hyatt
The hotels and agents have been fantastic to me even with the bumps in the road that do happen.

A salmon plate with a side of fruit is something reasonable and can be found in almost every Hyatt Club lounge.
Not long ago Hyatt offered up to 4 breakfasts for registered guests
Now they only have to offer two.The breakfast should increase in benefit for 100 night a year customers with the basic tea bottled water etc not decrease
No question breakfast is figured into the cost of the room as is the points earned in the program based on the amount of spending an elite member brings to their bottom line
Elites make up the lions share of Hyatt's most profitable guests.
Ask any CEO what is the most important aspect in a customer relationship and they should likely reply loyalty/retention of customers
Marketing 101 the cost to replace a customer 5x greater than penny pinching on 2 eggs and a muffin

Hyatt isn't generous because it wants to give everything away they are very clear on being focused on being as good or better
and still coming in on point with available budget
Its the occasional Hyatt hotel that strips quality trying to cut costs
The franchise owners may be in danger of losing its brand.While that is unlikely to happen at a corporate owned property
I am privy to a few privately owned Hyatt's where it could possibly happen.

Off topic without naming some other leading competing hotel companies as a consultant I have worked with over the past years
I can say that some of Hyatt's competitors are doing better job than Hyatt especially out of North America with generosity in their breakfast benefit
And yes its 100% unlimited.
Want 6 breakfasts (exaggeration but true) in full service properties lounge and restaurant ? Done its yours.Have it your way
The cost of eggs and toast /pastry at the end of the day are marginal when you have frequent stay high value guests
Some of our more experienced seasoned travelers here may no exactly what brands I am speaking of overseas
Brought this up in a conference call with Hyatt last month but have no affiliation with the company other than being a mostly highly satisfied guest

Should we wish to go way more off topic I am happy to oblige and share the facts with you so you may reconsider with due respect
your current partially incorrect perceptions of today's market conditions in hospitality
There has never been a better time to be an elite member of the major programs if top tier or the benefits richer.Need some examples?

2019 marks the most incredible equal opportunity of our lifetimes as the competition heats up.
Plan to fully leverage my position that in and out of Hyatt as appropriate with Hyatt remaining my long time primary travel partner
for which I hold decades of gratitude
Its been a brilliant and meaningful journey! ^Punctuation police please do not arrest
Cheers