FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NH-NRT-UA: I'm not doing this again!
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:25 pm
hirohito888

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Darlox
b) UA's app _always_ prohibits seat changes on the reservation inside of 24h. Doesn't matter if it's Int'l or Domestic, once you're T-24, you have to use the Check-in / already-checked-in app and website features to make any changes. Itinerary view won't do anything. And since your initiating flight was operated by a partner, yes, you have to check in with that partner, not UA.
I'm not sure that's entirely correct, I've been able to change seats on UA app after check-in and up to T-1 on both domestic and international flights, in Y and J. I suspect with a partner connection, OP wasn't able to change until he has flown the first segment on NH.

Originally Posted by Darlox
d) As another poster mentioned, UA does NOT always park at a gate. I've had to bus to a hard-stand for UA before, but also as noted, they prioritize long-haul over short-haul. I don't think I've ever had a UA TPAC flight depart from a hard-stand, but when they were operating SGN / SIN, absolutely! TYO is short-haul, so it's not unheard of. Consider yourself lucky that most of *A never uses the 500 gates!! Then you have a bus AND a gate wait!
I believe the OP had an issue with the bus gate upon arrival at NRT which is getting more common at NRT given the limited gate space during the afternoon rush.