FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Specific Plane details?
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:53 pm
TheotherJames

Thanks for the responses. Yes this is a request for safety but I would not say I am overly concerned, its more that I am curious if this is readily available information and if so, what information is provided. As for the types of maintenances, I am sure there is a website or video I can watch to get an idea of generic routine services performed on each type of aircraft but being able to see the logs for a specific plane would interest me as well especially if I am about to board.

At work I manage a few different Electrical and Mechanical Maintenance programs which results in several reports with varying sets of information depending on the service performed. I sometimes may see a pattern, higher/lower voltage/temperature readings, slower response times in transfer...etc etc.... which would indicate an issue that we should look at more closely.
None of this means I am qualified to do the same for any part of an aircraft, nor would I suddenly go screaming off a plane because its missing its Left Phalange.

Two reasons made me ask this now. I either seen a video or overheard someone say a specific plane had just come back from service, which started my mind going. Secondly, I recently was on a Airbus flight and walking down the aisle there was a seat wrapped up in tape with a sign that said "under no circumstances, is this seat to be used"....which I thought was... odd.
I got to my seat and after the cabin door was closed realized I had the entire row to my self, so moved to the center seat. As I sat down, the cushion in the seat I just got out of fell on the floor.... I notified the FA who said "Oh, another one" and reported it to someone in back and they directed me to pick the cushion up and put it back on the seat and that I should not try sitting in that seat for the remainder of the flight and they will report it to maintenance.

So, now I wonder, what is checked during "maintenance" how often is it checked and when was the last time the plane I am on was serviced oh and how old exactly is the plane I am on.

This all lead me to ask you fine persons if you had any information on the matter. It looks like I can get some information from various websites but as expected the Airlines probably do not want to make it too easy to be public information.

I'll dabble around with what is available then maybe someday push the limits on getting the rest of the information...

Thanks
James