FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles
Old Oct 13, 1999, 11:58 pm
aflyer

I'm still recovering from this trip...took the outbound this past monday the 11th of October, the return on Tuesday the 12th. It was a mileage run for platinum requalificaiton on AA
was scheduled like this
on the 11th..
SJC-LAX
LAX-DFW (double miles promo)
DFW-ORD
ORD-ISP
Now, keep in mind, I got this fare for $196 (this is one market where American matched Southwest's current $98 each way anywhere fare.) I paid for it with a voucher, so in essense, it was free.
Then on the 12th,
ISP-ORD
ORD-DFW
DFW-LAX (double miles again)
LAX-SJC

I was scheduled to leave SJC on the 11th at 8:30am, to get into Islip at 11:35 PM. I didn't even book a hotel...figured I'd just stay in the airport, becuase my return flight the next day was scheduled for 6:30am, to arrive back in SJC at 5:30PM.
When I got to ORD, the flight to ISP was overbooked, so they offered me a $350 voucher to stay the night in ORD. they put me up in the hilton (Thank God, because I would have been sleeping in ISP on the airport benches) and gave me $25 toward food.
Then, since they couldn't get me to ISP the next morning until after my return flight would have come back, they gave me $100 more in voucher for my two flight segments that I didn't get, put me the next morning back on earlier flights home (got back to SJC at 2pm) and then later credited me for the two flight segments.
So, for the time and energy, and the $196 in vouchers, here's what I got:
$450 in vouchers
free night plus points and stay credit at ORD Hilton toward 50000 point promo
16210 miles on AA and 8 segments
platinum requalification
a bottle of champagne from a nice flight attendant
dead tired, and had to go to work THAT night.
But i'm better now, and the miles are in the bank, so to say..

[This message has been edited by aflyer (edited 10-14-1999).]