FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:40 am
scented

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
is it possible that was a factor in decision?

credit cards certainly changing over time

(anyone have issue with amex charge card?)

as long as you avoid holidays and events at pulo

even during holidays many stay in villas/casitas
Never had an issue with Amex anywhere in the Philippines, but I did let them know beforehand. They used the chip IIRC. Not too long ago, various Amans still used "knuckle busters"/manual CC imprinters -- couldn't imagine them doing that today but was pretty common at Jena for example (even until 2015).

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
All of this is certainly a bit discouraging. I had heard so many wonderful things about Amanpulo and thought I had found "the spot" for a perfect beach get a away. I am always on the look out for the perfect super soft white sand beach. That is a major factor for our warm weather holidays along with peace and quiet away from crowds. Now I am wondering if it's going to be worth the premium. We have not booked yet as this trip would not be until until Feb or March of 2020. Maybe things will improve there by then or else I may consider somewhere else. Amanoi looks nice but the beach is just not in the same league judging from the pictures. We had an amazing but short stay at Amanpuri this year and ever since I have wanted to try out another one of their properties.
Frankly, Pulo is a national icon in the Philippines and once you visit the country, you will notice how many people have heard of it, even outside hospitality. That says something. And even though Pulo may have peaked during Tapa tenure, most of the team is still there and happy. And while service issues occur more frequently than before, the beauty of the island and staff/room count are unparalleled considering the excellent value. It is tough to find anything remotely that compares, maybe in the Maldives but rates can easily be double the price, although hard product is more polished. But then again, more rooms!