FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:34 am
JamesBigglesworth

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by bce1
Mt Cook and Air Nelson engineers would be on a different contract?
Correct, different contract so will be running as normal in theory.

Originally Posted by brenrox
What a miserable bunch...I respect their ability to strike, but for the unions to jeopardise peoples plans around Christmas is truly abhorrent. These aren't employees who are treated poorly our paid poorly either, how many other companies give all their staff bonuses?
This is exactly the purpose of strike action in an employment relationship. The intent *is* to cause disruption. Looking at the airline offer (worse hour structures, reduced wages, and claw backs on benefits) I am not surprised that the union fired off an equally ridiculous range of demands. The cleaners and other non-engineering staff under the contract are *not* "well paid".

If they feel so aggrieved, maybe they should see how green the grass is on the other side at say Jetstar?
Right! They should be lucky they're not engineers in Saudi or the UAE where they could be locked up without trial by the government, eh? How dare they exercise legal rights! If the airline is going to maintain record profits then it's only right they should do so on the backs of the employees by reducing comp & benefits!

Etc.

Look, quite honestly, I don't think the public has much to complain about: the union is giving *lots* of notice, the airline has every opportunity to rearrange flights - remember, if the strike goes ahead it's because the airline has chosen to make *no* effort to negotiate in good faith; *any* real effort at GF bargaining by NZ is enough for the airline to then seek an injunction against the action.