FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi ThankYou Preferred discontinued?
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:15 am
livencali

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I don't even know where to start here.

Your definition of "well enough" is obviously different than most other people's, and apparently, Citi's. Citi has to make money... Not continue to watch their program dwindle into mediocrity.

The question was... How is the TY program great in it's current form? Adding hotel and airline partners is not a relevant answer, as that requires modifying the program; thus, it's obviously not "good enough." When it comes to comparing TY to UR, UR wins hands down unless you travel/book with specific international partners. UR has a 1.5 cpp portal, many domestic and international airline partners, many hotel partners, and they're all; 1:1 regardless of how worthwhile the partner is. In addition to that, Chase's "trifecta" kicks the snot out of Citi... The ability to earn at a minimum 1.5 UR points on all purchases, in addition to 5x rotating categories, and then 3x on dining and travel is way better than what Citi is currently offering. As I said in my previous post, Citi adding AA as a transfer partner is as good as slim to none, and I shouldn't have to explain those reasons to you again.

"Adding to the bonus categories" is a pointless argument to make. So they'll add 3 additional points (in addition to what's there already) on dining to one card? The TY portfolio had 4 cards before the removal of the Prestige and Preferred.... Only one of the four is confirmed to have increased point earnings, with the Prestige also losing "entertainment" as a 2x earning category at the same time. The Premier will become less valuable if they don't increase the multipliers on the card, unless of course you use Citi's airline partners.
It is proper forum etiquette and will be more than helpful to the rest of us to expound/cite and show proof of your claims/sources especially ones posted on a public forum for forum members review and have an invested interest in. We'll wait here until that information is shared. I doubt the Citi "Thank You" program is doing as bad as you described as they are still offering transfer bonuses to airlines to card members periodically. That looks more like a "well enough" program to me and for the card members who use it for travel. Based on the transfer bonus offers to engage customers means that someone is actually finding value in the program and Citi knows this.