FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:20 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Such strange reports as for me (twice in the past year) it's always been a wonderful experience, including the breakfast. I've had delicious meals and as a Globalist never been charged an overage despite going over. Nice upgrades without asking, wonderful hard product, and exceptionally clean. Service has been a bit "hit and miss," however.

That said, it's clear this property has issues and I think they are very likely economic at the core. They clearly can't make a normal restaurant work (because it's closed), and the constant upselling reported by others to me indicates the property isn't meeting its financial targets. My theory (and it's just a theory) is that the building itself (Hyatt Corporate owns this property) was VERY VERY expensive to build and revenues just aren't justifying the capital expense that went into this place....
I want to be clear I had a great stay despite the restaurant which really isn't a restaurant but a living room lounge
It was primarily set up for drinking and snacks sandwiches.Never meant for a formal breakfast or dinner.There are blind spots if one is seated facing a wall and diners are kind of cramped
They have had two failed restaurants now since opening in the original dining room previously called the Back Room I wish they would just take it back and try again with the same original commitment
Now not only where you sit will make a difference in experience but also as to who your server is.
I don't doubt that some may be satisfied based on what they order
On a global and domestic 5 star standard it simply misses the mark depending on what one orders and at a crazy high price point which should insure most everything is exceptional to a fair degree
I only have two breakfast meals there in 12 months which doesn't give the most plentiful data points on earth but still.........
The most recent was all cold food toast and fruit.How do you mess that up? Maybe if I had an omelette I would be golden?
The prior visit we had a lobster omelette which was was better but the experience too had problems.The breakfast bill was 260 dollars making it the most expensive breakfast of a lifetime
The server disappeared and went on their break and never returned.
When your order and pay for a ten or twelve dollar bottle of water and isn't poured and the server disappears what do you do pour it yourself ask for a refund on the way out? That's the short story .

I'm really not trying to beat up the hotel Ive grown to like it even with weak views but really do they keep apologizing for years or do they fix it?
I see nothing but cost cutting below average F&B lower management (perhaps its not even their fault) and no polished only adequate team members when on point
Experiences at the Ritz Mandarin Waldorf and a host of lesser caliber properties perform better
My breakfast at the Park Hyatt New York when it first opened was sensational it is now a shadow of its former glory
Even the baking is sub par witnessed last year by what the opening standards of the property was when it first opened.
All their A listers are gone Lucas Park Hyatt Sydney Stamos from Andaz 5th Avenue
Which asks the bigger question why did Hyatt give up to a fair degree with outstanding team members who were exceptional at their jobs and building guest relationships and a dedicated world class kitchen
We have seen a pattern in NYC from Andaz Wall Street the closing of the Shop Andaz 5th Avenue and now the Park Hyatt NYC

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 10, 2018 at 7:30 pm