FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:43 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I had a disastrous experience a couple months ago — the worst hotel stay in recent memory — that finally got escalated to the GM. In the end, he was very apologetic and did his best to make it right to me but I was very clear with him that I didn't want to be bought off with points or special treatment — he asked that I book my stays through him moving forward — if it didn't mean that they would improve treatment for ALL clientele.

PHNY is by no means a cheap hotel. It's absolutely tacky that they refuse upgrade Globalists and try to push $100 upgrades at check-in instead. And it's tacky that they "accidentally" leave random charges on your bill at check out.

While I like Hyatt in general, they really need to up their New York hotel game. The only Hyatt I enjoy staying at is the Andaz 5th (if in a library-facing room), but its public spaces are severely lacking. PHNY has good bones and potential, but the views (with a few exception) are rather depressing and the service more 4* than the price suggests.

With the NY Edition (and soon to open Times Square Edition), I think I'll be doing many more NYC nights with Marriott.
Thank You so much for your helpful post.I'd be curious how long ago your failed stay took place?
I thankfully didn't experience the hard up sell at check in.
Though I previously received their insulting emails years ago saying they would upgrade me as a Diamond/ Globalist if I was willing to pay for an upgrade
After spending over half a million dollars with Hyatt before and after Gold Passports doors were opened when do you actually become eligible at all properties for an upgrade and no longer pay for your continental breakfast??
Even when a full breakfast is promised in the terms and conditions?Only when you get clipped by our 5 Star Property?

I too feel insulted when they tell me to book a reservation through a GMs office to insure a reasonably good stay.What are they saying>
We know we are bad at what we do so we will make sure you can receive a good stay if we actually know in advance not to mess up as we normally do?
What don't they get being a luxury hotel that caters to all elites and guests to a fair degree
Do they really need to be tipped off so one doesn't have a bad stay?