FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why the allure to Lounges?
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:39 pm
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by phdtraveller
I am operating under the assumption most FTers are paid corporate flying, and also have a per diem to spend on meals per day.

.... the food is so bad (unhealthy), you couldn't pay me to eat it. Additionally, the alcohol while might be free, is also very poor quality (you couldn't pay me to drink some of their wines). The economic value I place on these lounges ...maybe $100 for a nice shower at an Asian lounge. But for a Maple Leaf lounge, I definitely wouldn't pay more than $5. Your thoughts!?
I am amazed you'd pay $5 since it looks like you expect them to pay you eat and drink there and another key point is you don't actually pay anything. Your $5 is just an arbitrary amount you made up as a benchmark to rant against them which is baloney. The other end of the range, e.g. the $100 shower sounds pretty daft as well.

If you don't see value (for a free/included facility) then don't go in, solving the problem and leaving others to experience one less Negative Nancy who can sit outside and buy a Subway sanny.

How does the type of traveler (corporate or not, without evidence if it is true or not) and per diem apply in this argument since the per diem is not used in the lounge?