FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:48 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewToCanada
I'm going to be burning some miles on a first-class ticket to Asia, Baltimore to Shanghai, in May. I'm trying to decide between itineraries on Cathay and JAL. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts.

Option 1: BWI-JFK (Y) -- 3 hr layover -- JFK-HKG (F) -- 2h20 layover -- HKG-PVG (Y). There is currently no J availability on the last leg although perhaps it tends to open as the departure gets closer. I do however get access to the F lounges for the layover in HKG as I understand it.

Option 2: BWI-ORD (F) -- 3 hr layover -- ORD-NRT (F) -- 4 hr layover -- NRT-PVG (J).

Total flight times are pretty much the same. The second is 30 minutes longer. I leave a bit earlier but arrive a bit earlier too. I wonder if the JL food out of ORD (as opposed to NRT) is as good. Most reviews dealt with flights ex-NRT and the Japanese meals look pretty amazing.
Option 1 has the longer flight if F: that's what you are burning miles for. HKG-PVG is not a long flight.
Routes:-->Great Circle Mapper

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 10, 2018 at 12:53 pm