FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to the UK and Ireland next March - should we get a proper chip & pin card?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:22 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by choff5507
You could already get a capital one 360 account. I used their debit card in Poland at a automated machine with chip and pin and it worked fine. The account is free but my personal opinion is opening a credit card just for limited use on a trip is overkill.
It could still be useful on return trips. Plus, if enough people use such cards for day to day stuff in the US (even if their PIN support is only as a backup instead of primary), issuers will take notice and possibly start including it as well.

That said, I'm not sure how many non-FT, non-frequent travelers would actually care enough. Not to mention that issuers seem to think that contactless/mobile wallets are the future and not anything requiring insertion.

Originally Posted by Sintaku
I was declined on mobile at Superdrugs and Tesco for transactions greater than 30 GBP, then the confusion ensued when I inserted my card and it gave the cashier a bunch of signature prompts that they had never seen in their lives. Often involved them calling their manager and/or running around looking for a pen. I probably should be carrying a pen in those cases.

Signature is often declined at nightclubs, unfortunately. So I keep my costs under 30 GBP. I think the reason for declining signature at nightclubs is the fast paced sales of drinks, so they don't have to deal with cards that don't fit the norm.
FWIW, you can report them to the networks as they're supposed to accept signature (though that only possibly helps for the future and not right that moment):

https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html
https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-shopping.html

Also, the networks do have mandates requiring that there be no limit for all mobile wallet transactions. I believe 2019 or 2020 is the deadline to switch things over but I'd have to look it up to confirm.

BTW I seem to remember that Tesco receipts actually had "verified by device" on them, implying that there was no £30 limit. I never tried buying anything more than that amount, though, so it very well could have still declined the transaction.