FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which? Magazine investigating cancellation of flights after missed first leg
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:30 am
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Unrelated to BA as such but there was a similar court case in Italy a few years back: long-story-short, a passenger was supposed to fly to Milan from somewhere in Southern Italy (returning on the very same day, if I remember correctly), he however changed his plan (hence no force majeure here, not to mention that he didn't tell the airline i.e. Alitalia) and travelled to Milan by train instead. When he turned up at the airport in the evening as he was due to fly back home, he was told that his return flight was cancelled due to no-show on his outbound. He obviously kicked off and ended up winning the court case (Alitalia had to revise their T&Cs as a result).

G
Yes, I think in that case like the IB case the cost of two one ways was the same as a return as well which was a very relevant fact. The courts have certainly not ruled in general that the practice of cancelling all subsequent flights if you miss one is illegal.

For exEUs it is rarely the case that the cost of the exEU is the same when starting at your exEU point or repricing starting in the UK so I think the idea that the court decisions somehow allow one to miss the first leg and then pick up from LHR is very misplaced.