FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does National only want corporate business customers?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:41 pm
NCLSEA123

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm a very long term National customer -- like for 30 years! Every once in a while, something goes wrong but, in general, I am extremely satisfied by the service I receive from National. The Emerald Aisle is still the best program in the car rental business. Indeed, I frequently tell people that National is my favorite travel provider.

But I have noticed a trend in the past few years that is a bit annoying. Basically, National isn't too interested in my business -- or, more accurately, my business when I'm paying my own way for a car rental. On public rates, they are now almost NEVER remotely competitive with other companies, mostly notably their own sister company, Alamo. The only time their rates are even plausible is with a good corporate code and then, half the time, the price is still MUCH higher than Alamo's. Just a few years ago, you could pay a few extra bucks over Alamo's rates for National's somewhat better service. Those days are gone: National's public rates are now often 2x Alamo's! The result is that I rent with Alamo now at least as often as I rent with National. Even though I'd rather not.

I understand the different business focus and, to some extent, it makes sense to me. National is supposed to be the business-focused rent-a-car company and Alamo is supposed to be leisure focused. But it seems to me that National's current pricing strategy is taking this concept to the extreme. I would think a better strategy would be -- as it was in the past -- to position National as a PREMIUM car rental company for all customers (the majority of whom would naturally be business travellers) and to have Alamo as your "good deal" vacation car rental company.

As frequent renters know, at the end of the day, you pretty much wind up with the same cars at Alamo as you do at National. The difference is when picking up your car and, to some minor extent, the vehicle selection. The return process is the same (and often shared with Alamo). As things currently stand, no "regular" traveller would ever book with National. I guess they're OK with that, but it does strike me as rather odd.
Don't forget that you can get Emerald Club credit on rentals from Enterprise as well. Oftentimes, I've found their rack rates to be competitive with Alamo.

At certain locations also, National can even come out ahead of Enterprise and Alamo. At LAS for instance, I've had numerous personal rentals/reservations at a daily mid-size rate of around $15 with National, while Alamo and Enterprise were both in the $30-$45 range. This was as simple as being logged in to the system with my Emerald Club account when making the reservation, and deselecting my corporate rate and using the default Emerald Club contract. Deals are to be had out there, you just have to find them. You also can't beat the value you get from free days as an Executive Elite, especially when reserving higher end vehicles on one-ways.