FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why the allure to Lounges?
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
phdtraveller

Why the allure to Lounges?

Hi AC FTers!

I've read many posts here, and it seems a common theme that many FTers value lounges greatly. However, I don't understand this value can you explain it to me? I am operating under the assumption most FTers are paid corporate flying, and also have a per diem to spend on meals per day.

I've been to some lounges, i.e., CX (HKG, YYZ Premium Plaza), AC (YYZ, YYC, YVR). However, in all these cases, I don't see the value in the lounges. In fact, I was just at a Maple Leaf lounge today, the food is so bad (unhealthy), you couldn't pay me to eat it. Additionally, the alcohol while might be free, is also very poor quality (you couldn't pay me to drink some of their wines). The only thing I value about lounges is showers (esp Asian airport showers) and quiet space (but let's be real, you probably won't find that in any Maple Leaf lounges at busy hours). The economic value I place on these lounges are $5 max, maybe $100 for a nice shower at an Asian lounge. But for a Maple Leaf lounge, I definitely wouldn't pay more than $5. Your thoughts!?