FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to the UK and Ireland next March - should we get a proper chip & pin card?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:44 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
I’m fairly sure you can still swipe and sign at most places, but you’ll likely encounter sales clerks who have no idea what to do - many of them will not have been born when we swapped to chip & pin.

There are some places (self-service gas stations, buying train and tube tickets etc) where one would almost certainly be needed.
OP has chip and signature cards, so the chip part's taken care of. Signature will basically be required for every single transaction, though, with their cards (unlike in the US)--which might get inconvenient after a while. Hence why contactless/mobile wallets are generally a good idea.

Speaking of contactless, I'd check back closer to March to see if Chase manages to make it available on the CSR by then: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/contactless. If not, you can always add it to your NFC-enabled smartphone.

Originally Posted by Sintaku
I have had situations where payment terminals decline signature. My work around is contactless. The UK allows up to 30 GBP on contactless, so I normally have my cards on my Apple Pay.
Out of curiosity, where were these places? I suspect I wouldn't have had issues the few times I had to insert last year had I used my chip and signature cards more often (I used my Diners Club MC out of convenience, except at hotels).

BTW there's no limit for mobile wallet transactions, at least at most merchants. I also didn't have issues with contactless at National Rail ticket machines.