FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:59 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
We have stayed at PH before and after renovation. Frankly we were quite disappointed on our post renovation stay - the hotel before renovation had an air that was upscale, with a very airy, spacious lobby "hall" that opened directly to the Quay. Check in was done by 2 desks set on one side of the hall, and the guests sat down to check in. Rooms were MUCH LARGER than current rooms. There were a restaurant and a large bar area fully opened to the Quay.

After 2 years close down for renovation - the end result is, there is NO MORE LOBBY - you stepped in the front door, 5 steps you are in front of the check in counter. Right behind the narrow space is the restaurant with crowded sitting. Room is much smaller with Ikea style furnishing. No desk. Instead you get a table of all purpose The worst part and I consider a design failure - there is very little drawer space because the furnishing is too cheap - instead of providing drawers with railing, where there should be drawer, it is a wooden block or wooden skirt - much cheaper than even having shelves, let alone drawers.

I still have an old hotel pocket map from before the renovation - on the front it was the hotel's picture - I counted the "square" shape decoration on the serpentine shape hotel - the old building had only 3 or them facing the Quay. The new building had 6 or 7 of such. Each of the square in the old building consisted 2 rooms with Juilet balcony. Between the Square were the room did not have balcony. Now the new building maintains the same Square decoration but of course there are more than twice the number of these squares. Again each square has 2 rooms, now has real balcony. Therefore, for the same front footage the renovation has jammed in more than twice the number of rooms!
It is still holding its place in Sydney as the desired place to hold social functions and such - we witnessed a Chinese baby's first 100 days family party during our stay - as many were taking pictures with the couple and their baby, in the very cramped check in area next to the check in counter. I truly feel sorry for them.

IC at Double Bay is not a convenient location to most visitors to Sydney.

IC near the Quay and the Botanic Garden is at a much better location.

I would still prefer SOTP location than the properties near the Quay, given now you have mega cruise ships calling on Sydney Harbour virtually every day during the season - making the Quay very crowded with ship's passengers - a few thousands of them, plus crews that have a little bit time to go on shore. The iconic view of the Harbor Bridge and the Opera House together, viewed from Mrs. McGuire's Chair - is quite ruined when there is cruise ship in town because the mega ship is so big that it is almost the same size of the Opera House when viewing from the distance... blocking everything in view between the Opera House and the shore line. It also blocks the view from PH towards the Quay and the Ferry Pier as the cruise ship terminal is literally less than 3 min walk from PH. If you are at the 1st floor of PH, you would have zero privacy when people walk in front of your room all day long.
I agree with you overall (though have never stayed at either IC).

I've stayed at the PH and have had a couple of meetings there the past couple years. It goes without saying that the view is incredible but you nailed it -- the cruise ships really ruin things during the day and frankly after you've been there 1-2 times, you find yourself far away from the action.

SOTP is the best of both worlds -- a short walk to Circular Quay / Gardens / Opera House / etc for the sightseeing (and believe me I go running through the Gardens every visit just so I can see the Opera House / Bridge and take a million pictures so I don't discount being close to the big attractions) but with SOTP you still get the benefit of being right in the middle of CBD and a short walk to Darling Harbour and anything else near CBD you might want to access. Plus you get a top-notch lounge.