FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fed Up and Business Extra BXP3 Award but can't use - expires 12/31
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:08 pm
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I have a BXP3 which I have tried repeatedly to use this year but no luck. It expires 12/31.

Actually I just tried to use it again for a TATL before the end of the year in conjunction with my SWUs but apparently despite the fact that I have just paid $5,631 to fly myself, wife and two small kids in coach to England for Christmas apparently we are booked into an N fare (not that AA.com gives you a choice!) which is ineligible for upgrade using a BXP3. Another $731 to go up to an upgradable fare and then another $172 / person in tax if C class was available.

What now; surely I can return it?

P.S. I can't use my 2 SWUs left over either. What's the point in going through the trouble to earn them?
$1400 to England at Christmas seems reasonable to me.

Why not waitlist the SWUs to see if they clear. BXP3 strikes me as a poor choice redemption anyhow. Return for points, should be free if you are EXP or have a paper cert, $150 otherwise.