FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Suite Night Awards - SNA - questions and discussion thread
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:12 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
So just had the issue with SNA's on advance purchase rates! I called the Ambassador line and initially got told my reservations (I had 3 different hotels in same city, 2 Marriott and 1 Sheraton) were made via a travel agent, explained no all done on Marriott.com, got no where so asked to be transfered. Second agent told me initially it was because the hotel was sold out of suites (it wasn't) and then when took her thru the other 2 reservations and same issue she firstly tried to tell me once again due to all being sold out! Asked her to check and eventually admitted maybe not and then got the line that it must be a 'System Limitation' when I asked what that meant all I got back was it means there is a system limitation. At this point I asked to speak to a supervisor, after a 25 minute wait finally did!

He initially told me they were travel agent bookings, went into that, then told if a hotel has sold out of suites you cannot apply SNA's explained well that isn't how it works and in any case that isnt the case here. He then told me it must be that and was getting quite forceful on the phone that I wouldn't just agree and that I felt I should be able to use my earned and chosen reward. Luckily while on hold I had looked at this thread, so I made a non advance rate booking for the same dates while speaking to him and asked him to then try that reservation and he could then see SNA's could be applied! This made him change attitude somewhat, he still could do nothing about the issue apart from report it and raise a complaint file for me, but I have to say considering the issue is common I would think Marriott should have alerted its supervisors to it, rather than having them essentially making stuff up to try and shut guests up!

Overall a really poor performance by Marriott and handling of a bad IT situation made far worse by the complete lack of taking ownership of it! That said to me that seems to be the Marriott way!
I grew up in an era where customer support was an advocate FOR THE CUSTOMER within a company, just like HR was an advocate for the employee. Today that seems to have turned 180 degrees and CSRs work hard to defend the company regardless what is going wrong. Your story sounds like even the supervisor (and do you really know if it was a supervisor or just a fellow CSR?) has adopted the "excuse the error" philosophy instead of how can we fix if approach. It sounds like you've done due diligence to get some attention to this problem and maybe it's time to bump it up to the corporate offices to see if they can muster the proper resources? I'm sure they are working on some very serious problems and may not have the resources right now to deal with the SNAs, but it needs to get on their radar as something that needs fixing too.