FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:59 pm
ashill

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by gateH15

complimentary checked bags won’t solve the problem. They complimentary check at the gate for every flight. People don’t want to check it and wait for it after arrival. You can’t pay me to check a bag especially if I’m connecting. they can loose it or delay it. Also you don’t really have stand by flexibility once you have it checked.
Plus they make a lot of money from it. I’d rather AA charge for bags instead of passing that cost to everyone.

Well, Alaska and Delta do pay you to check bags if they don’t deliver them within 20 minutes. In my experience, AS does a good job of that. (I haven’t checked a bag with a Delta since they copied AS’s policy.) Because AS reliably delivers my bag without making me wait long, I’m far more inclined to check a bag (though I still usually don’t).

Solution here is to have larger overhead bins.
Absolutely agreed. Again AS does well here. Their new 737 bins allow rollaboards to be vertical; makes a huge difference. (Would make a bigger difference if passengers actually listened to the repeated announcements or looked at the clear diagrams telling them to out their rollaboards on their sides, but I digress.)

There are never problems on dreamliners or 777. Enough space for everyone to stow their carry on
I’m not at all convinced that has to do with the bins so much. There aren’t problems on 767s or 330s flying internationally either. That has much more to do with fewer people traveling with rollaboards because of the free checked bags on long haul flights and also, I would guess, because people tend to travel with more stuff on long haul flights.