FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:36 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

Actually, going into Germany, Czech, Helsinki, for a day or two and then onto WAW. Would be fine. Any routing but I’m looking for BIZ saver. Anything to avoid the BAsurcharges, would be wonderful. I’ll keep playing on EF. It’s a big learning curve for me, but it’s better than playing out in the cold.

Did a quick search on AA, and found two potential options as of now.

One, on 9/10, LAX to WAW through Helsinki on AY, with an overnight in HEL. The taxes and fees on this are $11.70.

Two, on 9/13, SJU to WAW through Madrid and London on IB/BA (IB on the transatlantic). There is an overnight in London. Because this would originate in the Caribbean, it's an extra 5,000 miles (so 62,500 miles one-way). The upside is that I think there are multiple days in mid-September that this routing might work (I see at least 1 Saver seat on the SJU-MAD flight pretty much on every day the flight operates, which is Su,W,F). The taxes and fees are a little over $100.

You might also check MEX as a potential starting point, but transferring in MEX might be somewhat of a pain.

Finally, all of this is super early, and availability on more convenient routings might open up as we get closer to your desired departure date. But if you're EXP and can lock something in without worrying about change fees, why not.

Edit: You can put one of these on hold and call in to see if you can tack on a positioning flight from wherever you'd like to start. I'm not sure it will work, but doesn't hurt to try. I've successfully routed through Mexico on a US-South America award multiple times, but not sure if US-Europe will allow routing through the Caribbean (i.e., I'm not sure if the Caribbean is considered "North America").

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 7, 2018 at 10:49 pm