FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Options SIN-ATL for injured 74 y.o. parent
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:57 pm
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Flights are UA28 & UA1152.

I don't know what I define as "reasonable" either. Basically I can afford to spend maybe a couple thousand dollars to help them out if it makes sense, but I'm not in a position to just dump $5k for new J tickets if they aren't necessary. And of course don't want to spend unnecessarily (e.g., understanding that wheelchair service is sufficient and don't need the concierge service).

No travel insurance so all of this is out of pocket (or miles/points accounts).

Adding EVA to my list of flight options to check when I get home tonight. (So, as a reminder to myself, I'm looking at EVA PE via IAH SQ PE via SFO or JFK upgrading within existing UA flights). I'm getting the feeling that the 2-stop option above won't be a good idea. Although it's lay flats, the added connection (and thus added opportunity for misconnect) isn't worth it. I don't get the sense that he needs to lay down for the flight...more that he just needs to keep moving when he can, which a E+ or PE would facilitate well.

My goal is to have a few viable options in hand and then call them tonight to try to figure out what makes the most sense.

Thanks again! I have some homework to do.