FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:18 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ckendall
This is kind of difficult to interpret accurately but Marriott may be buying us all new passports: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b0102c317084

"In the wake of a colossal data breach that compromised sensitive personal information, including some passport numbers, of hundreds of millions of guests, Marriott International has agreed to pay for passport replacements if the company finds that customers have been victims of fraud."
A) The limitation seems to make the promise hollow. You need to show evidence of fraud through your passport and related to the breach and Marriott makes the ultimate decision.

B) My new passport disappeared last year between the postal vehicle when it was down the street and my mailbox. Replacing it turned into a hassle until I reached out to my Senator. My Senator's office replaced it in one day at no charge and arranged a refund of what was originally paid for the lost passport. In other words, if you find there was fraud resulting in your needing a new passport quickly, you can go through your Congressperson's or Senator's office and it won't cost anything. Your Rep or Senator has staff that does this kind of thing every day.