FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
This point gives me great pause - can you clarify further on "linked/matched years?" For context on my concern, I am showing as 8 years with Platinum status. Some of those years are courtesy of the RewardsPlus partnership with United. Is it possible those years will disappear? FWIW (having reached LT Globalist with Hyatt) I've increased my stays with Marriott (I'll hit 83 nights in 2018).

Thank you!
A couple years ago, Marriott and SPG allowed their members to "link" their Marriott and SPG accounts, and if they did so, and only earned high status at one of those (Marriott Plat in my case), that was automatically "matched" in the "linked"SPG account.

I don't know if those kinds of "linked from SPG" status years have ever shown up in anyone's Marriott years count. But those kinds of "linked from Marriott" status year have shown up in many people's SPG years counts.

I can't comment on the years where someone got status from UA Gold. That's different, even though it is in the same "matching" category.

I'd say if those were years that weren't showing in your Marriott years total as of September, but are now showing there due to the "correction" in the last month or so (where for example they apparently finally decided to count challenge years, which only a couple weeks earlier a Lurker had told me didn't count)., I'd say they sound safer to me.

I'm more concerned on the SPG side, where there have been no "corrections" to date, and no explanation of why linked-from-Marriott status years are still in there. That is what I'm concerned about them possibly "correcting" in January (in combined accounts). To that end, since I'd be at 9 years combined (as of today) without those linked-Marriott-years-at-SPG, but I'm over 10 combined already with them, I'm taking care to earn 25+ stays on the SPG side this year (before I combine my Marriott and SPG accounts), so that it'll get to 10 even if they do subtract those linked-from-Marriott-to-SPG years.