FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels and restaurants in Hobart, Tasmania
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:48 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Hobart and area restaurants

As I start writing this we have been to two superb restaurants. I'll update after we finish our Hobart stay. Hopefully we've chosen well. Hobart is becoming a foodie destination. Although I had done a lot of research before coming, I really hadn't expected to find such fine envelope pushing cuisine. Some articles that I found helpful:

https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/...0170814-gxvn5v

Dier Makr
Our first meal, astonishingly good, was at Dier Makr. I asked how they would describe their cooking. They said it was Modern Australian with a vegetable emphasis. So there you have it. This is a small restaurant with two seatings at 6 and 8:30pm. It offers a 7 course tasting menu. You must give your credit card number when booking. It will be charged if you no show. Highly recommended.

FICO
A lady I met at the Henry James Hotel had eaten at both Dier Makr and FICO and considered them comparable in quality. I wanted to see for myself. We were able to make a last minute booking due to a cancellation. Indeed they were. We went with the chef's choices, another 7 course tasting menu. There are two chefs in the kitchen, one Italian and one Australian. The menu is a happy blend of modern Australian/Italian. The calamari, mint and ginger sauce was particularly good as was the strawberry, lemon verbena, and hibiscus merinque. Also highly recommended.

Templo
Templo seats 20 people two times a night, at 6 and 8:30. The 8 course tasting menu had both Spanish tapa and Italian influences, combined with Australian modern. It did not have as strong a focus on vegetables as others and wasn't as focused on beautiful food presentation. Regardless, the food was superb. Also highly recommended.

The Agrarian Kitchen and Eatery
This property has been winning awards right and left, including top new restaurant in Australia and top new chef for their young female star. We arranged our schedule to have lunch here on the day we drove north to Saffire. We are so glad that we did. It also is modern Australian with an even stronger vegetable driven menu than Dier Makr. They grow their own produce and list the suppliers for their meat and seafood on the menu. They have a menu from which you can make choices or you can go with the chef's tasting menu of the day. We did the latter and it was fantastic. The restaurant is about a 40 minute drive north of Hobart. It uses one of the buildings of a former state mental institution.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 6, 2018 at 2:53 am