FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Riots and CDG Travels
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:46 pm
itsaboutthejourney
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I was in Paris on Saturday. Getting on the Opera/Roissy bus from CDG to Opera the driver said he wouldn't go as far as Opera due to the demonstrations. He ended at Gare du Nord and advised anyone to walk. As I walked towards Galeries Lafayette to do some shopping I encountered demonstrators, police and eventually tear gas. Thankfully it was drizzling so I used my wet coat to help breathe out the tear gas. The entire area around Boulevard Haussmann was chaotic, yet I didn't feel unsafe. I witnessed a few yellow jackets throw a Lime scooter and other stuff into a store window, but that was the extent of anything crazy. In fact it was bizarre to see a mix of police with riot shields, yellow jacket protesters, street sellers and tourists not deterred to see the windows at Printemps and Galeries Lafayette. I was more annoyed that the stores all closed up due to the protests.

I took the metro to the Marais where life seemed very normal. Same with the area around Les Halles.

It was sad to see on the news that Arc de Triomphe defaced, burned cars, etc. but that was in an isolated area. But I wouldn't cancel a trip unless Arc de Triomphe was your main destination. I do hear protests will continue again this weekend, but if you stay out of the protest zones and take the RER or Metro, you should not get caught up in traffic or the mess near protest zones.

Enjoy, Paris looks beautiful and ready for Christmas.