FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MR checklist?
Thread: MR checklist?
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:50 am
sinfonia

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
MR checklist?

Do any of you MR veterans (or quickstudy newer members) have a MR checklist that you check off as you are booking a MR? I'm pretty new here to FT and between reading the MR stickies plus other MR posts, it is evident that there are a LOT of things to try to consider and juggle when trying to get the optimal MR booked. Juggling it all to get the perfect result is, I am convinced, an art that must come with practice. But I am hoping to learn the science of it.
By definition, I think we (FT'ers) are all either cheap or inordinately excited by getting the BEST DEAL possible (which often translates back to "cheap"). Or opportunists, I suppose.
Henceforth, we all strive to arrive at the most optimal MR possible in terms of fare, miles accrued, status earned, promotions used, compensation earned, etc. We search ITA or the like to find the best fare and route, we search ITN or bumptracker to find seat availability and the best possible way to get a bump (so we can get another voucher for free travel), we find any and all applicable discount fare codes for our preferred airlines before booking, we find and sign up for all applicable promotions relevent to our travel itinerary through airlines, we make sure we have the right inventory (fare basis?) code to maximize how many miles we earn, etc.
Those of you who are experts at MRs, is there a checklist (mental if not on paper) that you go through when you book a trip to make sure you have absolutely maximized your trip to its full extent? If so, could you please share this with us? I want to know everything I should cover when making my next MR which I hope to make in the next week or two.
Thanks!