FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long time away from SQ, anything changed?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:53 am
YuropFlyer

Long time away from SQ, anything changed?

So I was flying heavily with SQ till around 2012, both C and Y, long, medium, short haul. After that, they changed flying times from/to ZRH, switched to 1x daily A380 (was 2x daily 777) and I basically hardly ever booked SQ anymore due to LX being constantly cheaper (and with MUCH better flying times)

Also, for regional flights, somehow SQ never attracted my business anymore. MH and the various LCC's were just WAY too cheap to justify what SQ was asking for.

So, while I must have about 50 stamps from SIN immigration from the last 5-6 years, I've never actually flew SQ anymore..

Now, finally SQ lured me back, and due to different schedule on my side their flying times are actually not that bad, looking forward to my "first SQ flight in more than 5 years.." - in Y..

ZRH-SIN-KUL and back.. A380, A330, A350, A380 again. Obviously not being a Singapore-newbie I booked SQ metal on the hop to/from KL to avoid getting the "no-elite" treatment on Silkair.

Well, I've got a few questions.. as I noticed, ASR on SQ isn't free anymore, and I'll just hit OLCI 24hrs before departure, is that still the best strategy? Will exit row seats be available at OLCI, or only at counter checkin? Do they ask $$$ for them even at checkin, like many other airlines do nowadays, or can I snag them for free then (or even at OLCI?)

How's the food situation in Y, as compared to 5+ years ago? Still reasonable food you can enjoy to some degree? (I know it's Y airplane food, but in the past SQ long haul Y meals were actually pretty good, at least in comparison to the junk you get at LH and other "premium carriers", lol..)

I suppose the seats, IFE etc. on the A380 is still the same? It was great half a decade ago, did it "age well" ever since?

Hows the - not so good - Gold lounge in SIN, as compared to 2 years ago? I had access to the SilverKris lounge in the past 2 years on various visits, so here just asking if anything major has changed there since about 2016? Finally showers available? Tiger still on tab?

Anything else I should be aware of? Still cocktails served in Y such as Singapore sling before meal services? How is the crew generally? Still on the same professional level as before, or did some changes happening?

Personally I do expect things to be slightly worse than before, so not holding up my expections too high. Just trying to avoid any "shock", when things would have changed (negatively) on SQ Y..

Thanks for any feedback