FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Russia): Advice on first russian flight
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:56 am
chacoun

Programs: UA 1K
My Thoughts —

Aeroflot: Definitely my preferred airline throughout Russia. 1:55 should be enough time to transfer planes at SVO. You’ll go through passport control and a security control. Neither one has ever delayed me too long. (US passport holder here.) Since you’ll have a Russian visa, if you do misconnect, you’ll get on the next flight and can stay at one of the many hotels nearby. Be careful if you do choose MUC-SVO-PKC that you the second leg is Aeroflot and not Rossiya as the former is, imho, far superior.

S7: not a terrible option, but the double stop (with a short red-eye OVB-PKC) would kill this option for me, especially if it’s more expensive then the Aeroflot one stop. The trouble is that either the stop at DME or OVB will be lengthy. If you can do an overnight, then of course I recommend spending a few nights in Moscow itself. As for airport hotels at DME, the new Ibis is definitely my favorite. While it’s a little further from the airport, it’s brand new, the staff are friendly, and the WiFi is fast. While Novosibirsk is certainly an interesting place to visit, OVB airport is not.

Comparing SVO and DME: neither is amazing or terrible. I really wouldn’t want to spend too much time at either, though. A two to three hour layover should would be ideal. Anything longer, but not long enough to leave the airport itself, will incur hours of boredom.
​​​​​​​
Sorry I can’t be any help on the baggage front.

Let us know what you decide!