FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:44 am
kyanar

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
While I don’t think it’s realistic that everyone who ever made a booking gets a $20,000 hotel stay in compensation, I am rather unhappy that as an Ambassador client I’ve not yet received a notification email.
You don't need to mention the part about being an Ambassador client. Your level in the loyalty program should have absolutely nothing to do with the expectation that Marriott fulfil its legal obligation to notify customers in a timely manner of the data breach. And no, some website somewhere on the internet run by a reputation management company does not count. As soon as the information was known, Marriott should have tasked their marketing team with using that giant email database they have to notify any and all affected customers. But they didn't. They got straight in touch with Kroll and told them "manage the reputational damage". Not acceptable. The company has failed the customers both ethically and legally.