FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another year of disappointing Platinum status
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:23 am
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DLrunner
Not as many direct flights to SFO from BWI and they are all 737s, so fewer First Class seats. I really do not see that many people pre-boarding, which increases my frustration.
Fewer direct flights, yes (I think there's 1 or 2). Fewer first class seats, yes. But you're missing out key information. WAY fewer elite travelers. Elite travelers and/or corporate travels like nonstop. It's why we fly nonstop IAD-SFO/LAX more than BWI-SFO/LAX.

I promise you my upgrade rate as a gold is higher out of BWI nonstops than out of IAD nonstops as a 1K to the west coast. The elite presence is significantly less, no matter that there are fewer first class seats.

Also, I wouldn't get frustrated. UA is clearly selling those seats if you're not getting upgraded and there are 1K,GS, or even Plat with higher fare classes than you on those flights (proof since you're 25 down the upgrade list). The mantra, even for GS members is, if you want to sit in business/first, you pay for business/first.

There's no other way to put this. It shouldn't be 'right or wrong' that you're 25th on an upgrade list as a Platinum. It's a fact. We're sorry that there are people who travel more than Platinum members or who buy higher fares than you on your flights, we emphasize, all of us really do. But it's a fact and we can't change it. Right or wrong.