FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:51 am
simons1

Originally Posted by seagull88
I have a few more minor points to argue. I fully appreciate safety is the most important, but I do draw the line at being notified 2-3 days prior to departure when it was near certainty that the aircraft would fail inspections and could therefore be planned. Given my case has a asis based on various failings it's not a vindictive or retributory case.

I'd urge others to use my line of reasoning because BA use extraordinary circumstances as this black box excuse. Remember BA will be seeking compensation from RR so all you're doing in getting what you're entitled to.
Indeed, particularly as CEDR has already found in travellers favour on the 787 engine cases.

Having known about the issues since October 2017 the choice for BA was to lease planes in, or alternatively reduce schedules well in advance to reflect the equipment available and allow passengers to book alternative transport. Cancelling 2-3 days before hand and then claiming exceptional circumstances is frankly nonsense although it's possible someone will be on a bonus for hitting their 'avoided compensation' target. In fact you might argue that it is exactly the type of let down that EC261 is designed to avoid.