FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Elite Weclome Gift at Renaissance Hotels
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:20 pm
mindrisa

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Platinum Elite Weclome Gift at Renaissance Hotels

How many points should a Platinum member receive when electing to receive points as a Platinum amenity gift at check in? I thought the answer was 1,000 (as that is what the T&Cs say online) but apparently I may be mistaken.

I only received 500 points at the Renaissance EWR and when I called Marriott to update this to 1,000 points (there were multiple stays impacted), the first representative stated that the Renaissance EWR only awards 500 points as some Renaissance are full service hotels and some are not, and that is why some Renaissance hotels have 500 vs. 1,000 points as the welcome amenity. I figured I will HUCA.

Second representative I spoke to said that hotel posted the welcome amenity correctly as I was due only 500 points. I told her I thought it should be 1,000 points per stay and she transferred me to the Rewards Department. I asked the Rewards Department representative how many points does a Platinum member earn when they select points as the welcome amenity gift and she asked me which hotel I was referring to. I told her the hotel and she proceeded to tell me the number of points in costs to redeem a free night. I told her I was asking about the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift choice where a member can select from a $10 F&B credit or points and she had no idea what I was talking about. She had never heard of such a perk and stated she would have to transfer me. So, she put me on hold for a couple of seconds and disconnected the call.

Am I mistaken (or incompetent) in thinking I should have received 1,000 points for the Platinum welcome amenity gift at the Renaissance EWR or are the agents just incompetent in their jobs?