FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - End of year MQM options - credit cards
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:26 pm
daloosh

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by vbjd1111
I did not mean to advocate a hold back strategy, as I understood/understand there is no rollover unless you hit FO. What I was trying to say (maybe inartfully) is that if OP is going to get a reserve card, one can ask -- is the signup boost best used this year to hit FO for 2019, or next year to help qualify for FO and possibly higher for part of 2019 and through the end of 2020?
Thanks, now I understand what you were getting at, and I agree it depends on OPs future travel plans. If OP wants to keep some status and not lose the 19K in the bank, then it's either upgrade to Reserve, or go on a mileage run. 6,000 MQMs is not that much for an intl MR, but OP indicated s/he didn't want to spend a few hundred on what could be perceived as a 'wasted trip.'

But if OP had travel and significant charges coming up early next year, then s/he could just apply for the Reserve card next year, get the full MQM bonus rather than the upgrade bonus, and hit Silver when the first MQM bonus at $30K is posted. And then decide whether to keep the Platinum card or not. Throw in some traveling or two Amex bonuses and OP could hit Gold again.