FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:15 pm
NWIFlyer
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by wcel
The flight was not cancelled last minute because either airport was shut, other airlines managed to fly in and out of respective airports around the time that BA1305 would have taken off/landed. I can only fathom they cancelled this service to better accommodate another service/route and I don't think this would be an extraordinary circumstance?

I will be looking to put an EU261 claim in unless I receive firm advice from the trusted community of FT that this would 100% be a wasted effort? I realise they would likely initially refuse any claim but I feel I should be due compensation as the delay in now arriving at my international destination will be 24 hrs or thereabouts and I have suffered financial loss because of
As I understand it there have been some ATC restrictions at Heathrow today due to the high winds. This would affect all airlines who would have to make cancellations, but BA is hit harder in absolute terms because of the size of its operation at LHR.

Weather/ATC restrictions are most certainly both classified as Extraordinary Circumstances. I would have to say you are fighting a losing battle here. You are, of course, still entitled to Duty of Care.