FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An Engagement to Remember: BOS to ZQN (with a few stops along the way)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:27 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Milford Sound Flights: Queenstown - Milford Sound

Milford Sound Flights
Charter Flight
Flight and Cruise Bundled Fare
ZQN-MFN (Queenstown to Milford Sound)
21 November 2018
Cessna 208B (One Class Configuration)
ZK-MSF
Co-Pilot Seat

Departure: 10:00AM
Arrival: 10:45AM

This flight was one of the activities I was most looking forward to, so I was very relieved when we received the go ahead. Once we showed up at the airport, we went inside to get weighed and to pay for our tickets. In return, we were handed a pamphlet of our flight route along with a boarding pass corresponding to the tail number of our plane. We hung around for a few minutes waiting for everyone to arrive and then our pilot Aaron showed up and corralled us all to the plane.

Tarmac View from Boarding Area/Holding Pen

Super Official Boarding Pass

Do Not Touch Propellers
One would think this is just common sense. Apparently not.

ZK-MSF

ZK-MSF

He then instructed folks where to sit, presumably for weight balance. When he got to me he asked if I wouldn't mind sitting up front. Obviously, I eagerly agreed. Zero hesitation. I left my pack with my other half and she was seated several rows back.

I must add that the IFE was really lacking. I don't know if mine was broken, but I just couldn't figure out how to watch Spongebob Squarepants on this thing. Also, where's the FA and CSD? No PDBs or snack service. No recognition of status. No amuse bouche. Just terrible.

My Seat
Legroom wasn't too tight, though better than what the folks in the cheap seats had to work with. Just had to watch out the yoke didn't whack me in the, um, well you get the point.

IFE
The IFE system was clearly busted.

IFE Controls
The pilot finally got the IFE working, but he was watching the most boring movie I've ever seen. I didn't get any headphones either.

Taxiing

Taking Off

Airborne on the first try!

Double Cone
Remarkables Ski Area beyond that peak

Kawaru River

Kawaru River

Lake Hayes

Hill near Lake Hayes

Our Pilot Aaron

Coronet Peak Ski Area

Coronet Peak

Coronet Peak

Shotover River

Shotover River

Mount Aurum

Mount Aurum

Mount Aurum

Avalanche

Ski-able

Mount Aspiring National Park

Rees River

Rees River

Rees River

Mount Earnslaw

Lake Mckerrow

Lake Mckerrow

Skippers Range

Skippers Range Passing Over Mount Madeline

Mount Tutoko

Kaipo River

Tasman Sea

Llawrenny Peaks

Llawrenny Peaks

Llawrenny Peaks

Fjord

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

Milford Sound

MFN Airport

Final Approach

Final Approach

Final Approach

Landed

Taxiing

Taxiing
Wonder what this button does...

MFN
Lots of charter flights that day

Overall, this was a great flight. Apart from saving a huge amount of time versus driving, seeing things from above was a totally different experience from seeing them on the ground.