FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2017/18 thread
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:46 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
From what I understand, there is not an option to upgrade just one person on a booking using a POUG. And I believe that the call centres cannot do POUG upgrades either. If you call, you may be asked to pay the "Upgrade with Money" price - likely much higher than the advertised POUG.

If you aren't happy paying the (possibly) much larger Upgrade with Money fee, then maybe an AUP would be a better option (although I am not sure at all if you can AUP only one person on a booking, somebody more knowledge then myself will need to clarify here).
Previous advice here has been that you'd need to call BA to split the booking into two. The POUG offer will then probably disappear on both bookings. However, it may then reappear - and if it reappears for the person who wants to upgrade, then all should be well.

If it doesn't reappear, then the OP is probably not much worse off (and reliant on an AUP). If the OP's partner does not have status, then there is the risk that the statusless booking could have a seat pre-allocation cancelled if there's some reason for a sweep. But even if it were possible to take a POUG for only one person in a multi-passenger booking, the booking would have to be split at that point, with the consequent risk. There are of course also the other inevitable disadvantages of splitting a booking, such as removing the carry-across of baggage benefits etc. But much will depend on the OP's personal circumstances here.