FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need additional nights to get or maintain status (General Discussion)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:46 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mnn
Thanks for your response here. I'm similar to musicgal in that I'm trying to book an extended period of time (10-15 days) at a category 1 Marriott hotel to maintain my platinum status. I was planning to book with points since I have quite a large surplus. Each 5 nights is around 30k points (inc the 5th night free).

At this particular hotel, I was planning on staying at least the first night there. I actually didn't think there'd be a danger of the hotel determining whether or not I continued to stay. Is this actually a problem? I suppose I could leave "luggage" or "stuff" for the extended period. But in my case, it would actually be difficult for me to go back to the hotel to check out. Do you think there's a high risk here? Have you heard of anyone doing this and it not working out? Thanks!
Yes, there have been reports of people being checked out (and belongings disposed of) when it was determined the room had been abandoned. And there have been more reports about those that got all their credit. FT's term YMMV (your mileage may vary) applies to just about everything. Doing a 15-day stay might be trickier than 2 or 3-day stays. Letting the property know that you are going for status may get you what you want, especially if they are allowed to sell your room again. Using points will not get them double revenue but could be enticing to them. It may also get them into so trouble so please don't post if they go for it.