FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WSJ Middle Seat column today [MPG "Loyalty Program Turbulence"]
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:12 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
As much as I've liked to complain about Marriott since the merger, the comparison to IHG Rewards is I think unfair.

Marriott still sits somewhere between Hyatt and the old SPG on one side and the likes of IHG, Wyndham and Accor on the other. IHG has a model that basically provides zero benefits to status outside of Asia other than the additional points earning, which isn't the case with Marriott even though it's no SPG. Since the merger I'm still something like 5/6 for (admittedly mostly relatively small) upgrades in Europe at Marriott vs. 0/3 for upgrades at IHG despite being Spire (and these were not ICs either). In Asia Marriott continues to provide great upgrades, too.
I would disagree about Asia. On my most recent trip, I had a lovely upgrade at a GH to a genuine one bedroom suite in the corner on the top floor. It also had a very nice bathroom and dressing room. It was preassigned for me, although I can't tell when this was done.

OTOH, I tried to use expiring SNAs at a legacy property but the SNAs were declined. Despite being a repeat guest at the property, I could only get a regular room the first night and then move to a junior suite (one somewhat larger room with the advantage of having a separate shower stall) the second day. It seemed to have oddly mismatched furniture, including some fake wood IKEA type desk that wasn't nearly as elegant or graceful as the desk in the regular room. The same was true of the cheap-looking chrome and glass coffee table, which clashed with the end table (probably cherry wood and of a classic style). However, all higher suite categories, including a slightly fancier junior suite of exactly the same size, were showing as available for my entire stay. Previously I've been upgraded to the genuine one bedroom suite here.