FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:53 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Peachy6 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Peachy6
hi there, I need some help regarding choosing a one world frequent flyer membership program.
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
( Lounge Access,upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free, etc.)
Reply:
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: not sure about miles but 10 to 15 flights a year is my average, sometimes I fly more.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Economy, cheapest business
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: Asia, Africa and Middle east, MH, UL (rarely) and QR
(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: MYY, KUL
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: QR burgundy and MH blue lol lowest possible
8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: Doesn't matter whatever can help me change tier's in a year.
With only a few flights a year, even if some are in business class you will struggle(=probably not) fly enough to step up a status level.
Anyway what would airline status do for you, other than a more shiny plastic card?
QR burgundy and MH blue equal nil OW status.
The first status level OW ruby gives some benefits.
The next level above that is OW sapphire which has some more benefits, the most useful of which is lounge access.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-oneworld-tier-status

It does not make much sense to collect ff miles/points in both QR & MH. They are ff partners, So you can earn & burn on both and credit to only 1. But some low cost fares can earn nil: check the fare booking class & details.
www.wheretocredit.com/qr
www.wheretocredit.com/mh

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, better seating (with some ffp’s) ability to upgrade flights, possible operational upgrades and simpler to earn non flying ff miles/points. Status benefits are often better on the home airline.

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.