FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How did you use your SW companion pass? Did it worth it?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:21 pm
lainys

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
We're into our 3rd year of CP

2016 - targeted offer 3 (or 5?) round trips for CP qualification. Diverted several of my shorter work trips from UA and AS (SFO/SJC to LAS/LAX/BUR/SEA/PDX) to Southwest. Was not much of a SWA flier so had no immediate plans to use CP. Seemed like a low bar to get CP and it's always good to have options! Ended up with additional SJC/LAS/SJC trips in Oct and Dec on $29/$39 fares for fun. Without CP I would not have booked them on Southwest. You could say we got $100 value for the CP ticket for trips. Then again we would not have "splurged" on the sale fares without CP

2017 - targeted offer 3 round trips for A-List. Did the 3 qualification trips but still sticking to AS for upgrades and MVPG elite requal. Unexpected death of a family member meant booking last minute flights SFO/SJC-BOS @ $600 x 2 adults x roundtrip. Flying Southwest with CP meant $1200 actual savings in my pocket versus over UA for 2 adults. Sidenote: I HATE the LUV Seat in exit row.. Hubbie loves it.

2018 - After AS MVPG requal, all trips in the past 2 months have been booked on Southwest Anytime fares just squeaking by to requalify for A-List in 2019. Under 5/24 so got the Chase credit cards with min spend hitting in Jan 2018 to requalify for CP till end of 2019. YTD savings with CP is about $3000 so far.

UA is my preferred airline for international. AS is still my preferred airline for all west coast travel. That being said I would not rule out Southwest completely. Like other AS flyers I will wait and see in 2019 whether our corporate travel (thru Concur) will skip or include the new basic economy fares. Being able to change and cancel with penalty is a "must have" feature.

Last edited by lainys; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:59 pm Reason: spelling