FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:21 am
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sparksals
Quick Question. I booked MSP-DFW-PVG and back for a mileage run on the new Delta plane in the new premium economy. I am confused about if I need a visa for China for the short trip. I will be overnighting in Shanghai and then coming back Dec 7-9. I am Canadian citizen living and departing from US. I checked the Canadian consular page about Chinese visas, but it was so confusing. Aka if you're traveling from Canada and to a third country you don't need a visa. For this short, simple mileage run trip, overnighting in Shanghai, do I need to get a visa?
I assume you mean MSP-DTW-PVG since DL does not fly DFW-PVG. I'm pretty sure a Visa is required for this trip as you are not going to a third country from PVG (just to the US and back). You could likely buy a cheap onward ticket from PVG to some other destination (that does not require a Visa), and hopefully that would cover you. Without that, you are playing with fire and could very likely be IDB'd in DTW without a Chinese Visa.