FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:07 am
pokeable

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rasheed

On the Square and Toast. First, I find it silly that Square and Toast need to put their prefix on every transaction, but I can blame PayPal for that history. Square happily emails me every time anyway, so I don't need the statement reminder. Just to help for those who give up on AmEx and Square/Toast transactions, it is possible AmEx is doing something different in categorizing these merchant companies compared to others. This is not true for V/MC as all of my Square/Toast "restaurant"/"food truck"/"small business quick service restaurant" transactions match a categorization provided by the merchant (which was restaurant) and earned my Savor MC 4% ok. There was one food truck that chose a catering services (5811), which isn't totally off, but not ideal.
The denial of Toast for 4x MR is actually a pretty big deterrent for me using the Gold at restaurants v. the Sapphire Reserve. Especially since a lot of the higher end restaurants we have been in D.C. use Toast.
Why risk it/have to complain for the 4x when Chase reliably gives you 3x back on a $400 charge without any fuss?