FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:18 pm
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fc912
Ha, it’s funny you acknowledge that we have different habits, and neither is right or wrong. Not sure why you’re shocked that I pointed this observation out as something noteworthy then. Whether you’ve experienced it or not, having water by the bedside at turndown is the norm at luxury hotels around the world, so that probably says something about which habit is more common (or at least perceived to be more common by luxury hotels around the world). And I happen to know plenty of people who wake up in the middle of the night thirsty, and these people tend to consume water when they wake up, naturally in the sleeping area.
I was shocked because there is no service standard as to where water is placed, and even as an extremely detail oriented person, it would be the least of my worries. I could see it going either way, which is why there is no service standard.

I've stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels and have never once seen it bedside. Always either next to the TV, with an ice bucket and glasses, or on another dining-ish table in the room.

Anecdotal evidence of people waking up thirsty doesn't mean its the majority of folks, evidenced by hotels not having a particular service standard as to where to place water.

On the other hand, the first room I checked into at The Prince Gallery had finger smudges on the window. Relatively minor detail, but annoying for a 5 star property to miss, where there is a clear service standard of clean, clear glass. I did mention this to them and the next time I went into the room, the window was immaculately clean.

If you really love the water bottles next to your bed and can't be bothered to move it yourself, I'm sure if you told them, they would oblige (and would be a good test of a relevant standard - customizing the stay to the guest's preferences).