Old Nov 27, 18, 7:16 pm
musicgal

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Well, that could tricky with a 5-night stay. You have to make the hotel think that you're staying there for all 5 nights. If they decide, say based on housekeeping feedback, that you're no longer there after 2 or 3 nights, you may find the rest of your stay cancelled.

So I would say the safest thing would be to either visit the hotel twice (to check in and to check out), and leave a suitcase and some other stuff out in the room for the whole stay, or else find someone local to the hotel (whom you trust) to make the room look "used for 5 nights" on your behalf (but then you still have to go there once to check in and to hand off the keys to that other person).

For one night "fake" stays, it's sufficient to check in in person but to check out by phone. But that's doesn't work reliably for longer stays, because it's hard to keep housekeeping out of your room on longer stays, and it's hard to keep housekeeping from jumping to conclusions when they see no evidence you using the room night after night.

And you may want to evaluate, is it still the cheapest way if you have to factor in two drives to there? You've got lots of cat 2's near you, it looks like. Is 3 hours driving (one way or round trip?) 2 times worth the 25000 points in savings (of cat 1 vs cat 2 for 5 nights)?
Thank you, sdsearch. You make valid points. Yes, there are a number of cat 2 hotels near me. It would be much easier to pull off a 5-night "fake" stay close by than 2 -3 hours away (one-way), and may very well be worth the additional points.
I need 9 nights to reach 50. I have 2 paid nights coming up and was going to use 2 certificates that expire soon for a couple of days in Savannah. That leaves me short 5 nights.

What's the deal with meetings? Could I schedule a meeting for 2 people, pay for it, show up, sit in the meeting room for an hour, leave, and get 10 elite nights? I've read through this thread, and some of the thread on meetings, referenced above, and it seems like it's a possibility. I've never considered anything like that before.
Thank you again for your help.