FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:21 pm
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Aero137
I am in a similar boat; about 2500 miles and $800 short of Gold for next year. I do see quite a bit of value in status, but not that much.

However, one alternative I am considering is a vacation/MR in Jan, 2019. CX has a Black Friday (expiring 11/27) sale of $500 off Premium Economy flights. LAX/SFO to SIN (via HKG) is about $1k with the discount and would net the required EQM and EQD (as it is distance-based) for Gold thru Jan 2021. Though technically you aren't re-qualifying, your benefits won't lapse.
Gold gets you more seat option, but then so does $800, or $1200 in the previous poster's case
You can get baggage with a branded credit card, so that value is limited.
Of course, if you really want to spend $1000 to go to SIN (roundtrip in PE for that price?), then go for it, but I wouldn't do it just for the benefits of Gold.
That is a long way to go, even in PE, and, as gold, you are still going to be in standard economy for your benefit year, unless you buy up to MCE.