FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles
Old Jun 3, 1999, 11:34 pm
BlondeBomber
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Two years ago AC had a promotion that if you flew 48 segments (any fare) you would get 2 free business class tickets anywhere in the world on Star Alliance carriers. This was too good to be true. At the time they were having fare wars on a route I travel frequently (about $40US round trip for a same day return airfare booked 2 weeks in advance). You can imagine that my mind got hyperactive.

I did a lot of figuring and instead of staying in the other city overnight at a cost of $100 plus per night (including meals and hotel) I would return home every night--worked out cheaper plus I was ferrying materials back and forth anyway (you can rationalize anything ). Since it is my company I make travel policy and got my segments.

Some enterprising folks just got on the plane each morning for 3 consecutive days and flew every flight back and forth (you could squeeze in 16 segments (8 round trips) in one day with the high frequency of flights). The flight attendants would say--nice to see you again Mr. X. Some of those guys were written up in the local paper.

For about $1000 US ($1500 CAD) we got 2 free business class tickets from Canada to South Africa on AC and LH (worth about $10000 US). Well worth the extra bit of effort -- cost me a bit more time in travelling but saved me some money overall plus I got great tickets! No such luck these days, you have to buy tickets in higher fare classes to qualify for similar promos now.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 06-04-99).]