FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:38 am
Saladman

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by simons1
I fear you are the one who is confused. There is no need for an emergency travel document - EC38/2004 makes that quite clear.

All he needs to do is meet the requirements of EU law which allows the traveller to "corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence".

UK immigration staff can advise BA to let him travel if he can provide such evidence.
it’s academic now as he has it sorted, however my point was solely concerned with the practicalities of the situation. The various EU rules quoted are undoubtedly correct and whilst I’m also sure he would meet the requirements of EU entry should he get to that stage (assuming he’s telling the truth), he hasn’t got there because he’s still in Budapest.

All the theoretical knowledge and pontification about EU directives is of little use when U.K. immigration have refused to provide authorisation to BA and BA have refused to allow him to travel. Therefore another, more practical, method needed to be tried such as another travel document, getting his birth certificate or passport to him, hence my suggestion.

As it it turned out, despite the OP challenging the airline the only effective method was to have his passport delivered to him to enable him to travel.

Hopefully he will be home shortly.

Last edited by Saladman; Nov 27, 2018 at 6:42 am Reason: Punctuation seems to have gone awry.